Home Visit

Learning to drive can be a big decision, and the more information you have the better able you are to make the right choice in selecting your driving instructor.
At Bin-The-L-Plates we would always recommend that you take up our offer of a FREE Home Visit.
This is a great opportunity to ask your driving instructor any questions that you might have, it also helps you decide if the driving instructor is the right choice for you.
You will be spending a number of hours with your driving instructor and it’s very similar to when you were at school, if you didn’t have an empathy with your teacher then you probably didn’t look forward to your lessons with them.

To take up this offer of a FREE Home Visit book an appointment.

Book A Visit

Start Your Theory Study

There is no need to wait until your 17th birthday before starting your theory study in preparation for the Theory Test.
You are not permitted to apply for the practical driving test until you have passed the Theory Test, and you will need the Theory Certificate No. once you have passed to book the Driving Test.

The Theory Test comprises of two parts, the first being a multiple choice question test and the last part is a video based hazard perception test.

If you need assistance with any aspect of the Theoy Test then don’t hesitate to ask.

Once you have passed the Theory Test, the certificate is valid for two years.

Get Your Eyesight Checked

It is a requirement of the Driving Test that you are able to read a car number plate from a set distance.

You must be able to read the new style number plate from a distance of 20.5m.

If you normally wear glasses or contact lenses to be able to pass this requirement then you would be expected to do so for your lessons and the Driving Test.

Apply For Your Provisional Licence

You are not permitted to drive on public roads without holding a provisional licence, and to qualify you must be 17 years old.

If you hold an International Drivers Permit then you may be entitled to drive in the UK using that permit.
The rules and regulations are country specific, and for more detailed information on Driving Licences contact the D.V.L.A.

Apply Here

Your Instructor

If you are paying someone to teach you to drive they must be approved and registered with the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

Only a registered Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) can charge money for teaching you to drive, and will display a certificate in their windscreen.
A fully qualified ADI must display a green certificate in the windscreen of the car while teaching you.

To achieve full qualification your instructor will have had to pass a tougher extended Theory Test and Driving Test and also reach a high standard in instruction.
The standard of instruction given by an ADI is regularly checked by the DVSA.

Private Practice

It is widely recognised that it takes longer to learn to drive and reach test standard than it did 10-15 years ago.
The average amount of tuition needed can vary dependent upon the individual, and it is possible to obtain extra supervised practice to increase your level of experience on the road.
The type of private practice is very important as it is very easy to take advice from your supervising driver, such as a parent, who might encourage poor driver practices that can have a detrimental effect on your training.
Take advice from your instructor who knows your ability and will not place you in situations that you could not handle safely.
They will know what to say and when to say it, so avoiding any family arguments.

The car you practice in must be insured for the learner to drive, having no valid insurance would make the learner liable for a fine and points on their provisional licence.
Practicing on car parks, such as supermarkets which the public can access would still mean you have to have valid insurance.
There are a number of Insurance Companies who offer specialist Learner Driver Insurance.

Note : Your supervising driver must be over 21 years old and have held a full driving licence for at least three years.